Saturday, June 2, 2007

A thali lunch--with Ankit!

This particular thali was all veg, and despite being the carnivore that I am, it was very satisfying! Thali is basically a meal consisting of a selection of different dishes. This particular place served unlimited food, buffet-style, and they brought the food to YOU--very dangerous when one is very hungry and very lazy. It was like Indian dim sum. One all-you-can-eat thali was 135 rupees = $3.36. The roti was divine, especially after the waiter drizzled a little ghee over it. We finished off the meal with a tasty yogurt drink, and Ankit got these delicious rice ball thingies (note to self: must write down names of such items next time).

This tiny feast was had at Chowpatty Beach:

I also tried this snack, wish I could remember what it was called. Ankit and his sister Sadvhi (aurgh, I'm probably butchering the spelling of her name) motioned for me to stand closer to the food vendor. I was given a small silver dish with a puffy cracker-like thing, sitting in a little sea of light green juice. A hole was punched through the top, more juice inside with some chick peas floating captive in the cracker. I was instructed to pop the whole thing in my mouth, no small feat as the cracker is about the size of a large bon bon. I almost choked when I bit into it; all that juice kind of exploded and I wasn't expecting it. It was sweet (mango?), minty, a bit sour, spicy, crunchy... delicious!

7 comments:

Gogo said...

oh oh I know which snack that was! (the one with green juice)

it's called "pani puri" (also known as the gol gappa, or phoochka)- the one with fried shell with potatoes inside with taramind juice.

I am sending you an email with the NY Times article clip about Indian street food, so you can try them all- (learn the name!) I had to temporarily subscribe to NYTimes Select to find that article. (Gowoon, proud supporter of Sejan's glutton...y or "culinary adventure" ;)

Be careful not to get in the way of angry Indian riots. One of my friend was in Lebanon last summer... in the middle of all that bombing. urgh.

sy said...

pani puri, yes! that was it! and thanks a bunch for the article! I should just hand the list over whenever I'm ordering, hehe

rc said...

Hi, Ankit!

rc said...

Hi, Gowoon, pleased to virtually meet you. So... you can subscribe to NYT Select temporarily? Nice!

And Sej... great pics all around! Thanks for sharing!

Mariné said...

Ankit! Good to see ya!

Gogo said...

Hi Ric,

it's nice to virtually meet you as well- maybe Sejan will change her blog title to, "Madame Yun's Lounge" or something... ;)

Now to answer your question, if you can sign up for NYT Select and cancel within 14 days, your creditcard won't be charged. I think they have 14-day free trial or something.

rc said...

Thanks for the explanation, Gowoon. :-) Makes sense.

Madame Yun will have to arrange a (culinary, perhaps?) meeting of current and ex-DTP folk when she is back. ;-D