Tuesday, June 5, 2007

last night in goa, and the head wobble

It's my last night in Goa. I'm sad. It's a beautiful place, and the beaches are stunning. (Yes, I brought my pale body to the beach. My face is as red as mutton vindaloo right now.) Sadly, I don't have any pics to share. I just dropped off my two 2GB memory cards at the Fujifilm store on 18th June Road (that's the actual name, no kidding!) so I can delete and start taking more.

But before I go on, I have to share this interesting phenomenon that I noticed here in India. People do this curious head wobble thing, gently bobbing their head in a circular motion (I'm trying it out discreetly at my computer terminal right now). I'm not sure why they do it. I'll have to ask about that while I'm here....

So back to the Fujifilm place, I ask how much it costs to burn one CD. The guy at the counter wobbles his head and says "75 rupees." I ask if they burn DVDs. He says yes, that it will cost 300 rupees total--150 rupees for each memory card. I'm confused, wondering why the cost for CDs are per CD, whereas for DVDs, it is per memory card. I ask about this very nicely, but I can tell he doesn't want to haggle with a silly American. With head wobbling, he takes my question and repeats it as a statement, "Each CD is 75 rupees." (pause) (head wobble) "To burn a DVD, it's 150 rupees for each memory card." He stopped looking at me after the first word was spoken; the rest was directed to the memory cards sitting on the counter.

Perhaps tomorrow when I pick up the DVD, I will ask him about the head wobble. I'm sure he would most appreciate it.

3 comments:

Therese from the East Side said...

Hey - finally got on this thing. "Summer" for me doesn't start until the kids are out of school, so I had it in my head you were heading out there sometime in mid-June.

I wish I were there! Do you know how long you are staying, or are you playing it by ear?

let me know what you find out about the head wobble. (maybe I should try that - what is happening here at work might start to make more sense...)

Gogo said...

...maybe they picked it up from our useless-but-cute Japanese desk toys. *ponders about her next Flash project*

"Head-wobbling Indian Nohohons"? ;)

Thanks for all the wonderful pictures and I hope you get a little discount. I heard Indian men fancies Asian woman, maybe a little flirting will do the trick, no?

sy said...

hey therese, i'm here for just another 10 days, leaving on the 16th. Still haven't figured out the head wobble thing. went to a bookstore and haha, tried looking it up in the index. as you'd expect, it wasn't listed under "H" ... or "W" for that matter.

gowoon, head-wobbling indian nohohons would be AWESOME. if only i had the guts to ask someone to do it so i could catch it on film. i dunno, seems a bit disrespectful if i were to ask, "hey, can you do that head wobble thing and film ya?"