Saturday, June 9, 2007

good-bye goa, hello delhi

First meal in Goa: fish curry. Yum.

This Goan specialty, fried prawns, was amazing. It had this tasty coating with a spicy kick, sprinkled with a little cornmeal.

Next course, pork vindaloo, another Goan specialty. It’s India’s answer to southern bbq, but with a little vinegar and, of course, loads of spices. Heavenly.
No more Goan delights for me; I left Goa and flew to Delhi, arrived a couple of day ago. All that good eating has its price; my stomach is a bit touchy. So I'm easing off the spices a little.

And so yesterday, as I was walking around Connaught Place, horror of horrors, I walk past a TGI Friday's. I snicker and walk on. After passing a few seedy-looking places as Delhi's unforgivable sun is beating down on my head, I pause, turn around slowly, and make my way back to TGI Friday's.

Now before my fellow foodies flay me, I have to say part of the reason I wanted to eat there was because I was curious to see what a TGI Friday's in India would even look like. A sociological pursuit of sorts. And now I know. It looks like, well, a TGI Friday's in Anywhere, USA. Same loud music, tacky decorations and red-and-white striped everything. The only exception: waitstaff required to wear cowboy hats:



So I ordered a coke and a hamburger. Just kidding. But I did order a lamb burger (TGI Friday's [Delhi] specialty!).

The lettuce was brown and wilted, the tomato sweet and crisp, the bun just a regular chain restaurant-grade bun. Nicely char-grilled lamb patty. Some crisp and sour pickle slices thrown in. All in all, a damn tasty burger! The fries tasted just like Bojangle's seasoned fries, yummy.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i understand your curiosity for TGIFs. when i visited Vietnam i was sooo dissapointed to find out Hard Rock Cafe never opened!!! i was even planning to buy a t-shirt I saw.... :(
i did manage to eat at a McD's look-alike, same colors, bathroom tile walls but the fresh shrimp burgers were excelent (nope, no meat) and once you placed your order a waiter actually brought it out to you in a tray. there was also a sink right by the counter were everyone washed their hands immediately after paying for their order.
so back to nyc... i found a new indian place that looks fancy yet very affordable. gowoon and i hope you'll still be interested. see ya soon!

Unknown said...

Sej! I got your lovely card a few days ago - I'm knocked out by all the extra energy you have for sharing your India experience with all of us back home. Meanwhile, back in NYC I can't even manage to return people's phone calls.

Can't believe the three weeks have flown by so quickly, and that you'll be home tomorrow. I hope it won't be too much of a drag to be back in NYC. :(

I'm in the mad final push of writing before my screenplay deadline on the 21st, but I want to interrupt all that for a few hours to take you out to dinner as soon as you're de-jet-lagged a bit. I'll give you a call over the weekend to discuss!

In the meantime, have a smooth and safe flight home. Can't wait to see you soon and hear your full report!

Much love...Liz ;)

Kyong said...

at least you went to a chain with table service. i went to mcdonald's when i was in korea. and i enjoyed every bite of my 2 cheeseburger meal! i love you & miss you.

Kyong said...

i love and miss you too, liz.

sy said...

celina, fresh shrimp burgers... wowzers does that sound good! give me a couple of days and then we'll hit that indian place. i'll be jonesing for it by then ;)

liz, glad you got the card. can't wait to see ya, love!

ky, i remember korea's mickey d's offering kimchee burgers! i wish i had tried them. miss you sooo much!