Friday, June 1, 2007

aurangabad was aurangaGOOD

I'm about to catch an overnight train from Aurangabad back to Bombay in about half an hour, so I have to make this short. I've been in Aurangabad for the last two days, checking out the Ajanta and Ellora caves. Some date back to 400 AD. The caves have these monolithic Buddhist and Hindu sculptures--amazing. Words don't do them justice; I'll have to post pics of them so you can see for yourself. Computers here are achingly slow (took over an hour to post the last entry w/ pics), but I promise to get more pics up when I have a chance--along with pics of FOOD!!!

But I do have a funny little story to share while I was at the caves. Okay, so while I'm getting used to the open-jawed stares and double takes, I wasn't ready for the rockstar treatment. People came up to me to ask if they can take my picture. Sure, alright. Next thing I know, the entire family--mother, daughters, sons, aunties, cousins--they all crowd around me, smiling widely for the camera. It happened at least 5 times, no kidding. They ask where I'm from ("America! Not Japan?"), and as soon as the picture is taken, they smile shyly and ask me questions about my husband or home (I'm wearing a fake ring). One family asked if they could take my picture, and after I agreed, they shoved their crying infant into my arms. The baby was flailing its chubby little arms all over the place while the family was encouraging, "picture! picture!"

3 comments:

rc said...

So, um... Can I have your autograph? Pleeeease?

;-)

Gogo said...

*picking up a pen from Sejan's desk, pondering if this would sell on ebay - India*

sy said...

For autographs, please send request to:
SEJAN FANMAIL
123 ABC ST.
HAR HAR, HELL

Should you choose to sell my belongings on ebay, I would be so gracious as to donate my flip flops. Proceeds can go to feeding hungry DTP'ers (stick of gum for all!)